PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS PRIOR TO YOUR SURGERY. FEEL FREE TO CALL OUR OFFICE WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
1. No heavy lifting, strenuous exercise for 7 to 14 days post-op.
2. No blowing of nose for approximately 10 days or until the internal splints are removed.
3. If you have to sneeze, do so with your mouth open.
4. Your nose will bleed from time to time. Do not be alarmed. It may help if you sit down, put your feet up and use ice on your nose. Call if you become concerned.
5. If you have packing in your nose, it will be removed the first post-op day. (If Same Day Surgery, we will see you in the office the day after the surgery).
6. If you have an external splint, it will be removed 5 to 7 days post-op. If you don’t have a follow-up appointment, please call the office.
7. Try to sleep on two pillows or in a recliner the first 2 or 3 days post-op to keep head elevated 45 degrees.
8. For rhinoplasty patients: Ice pads may be applied to eye 4 times a day for the first 2 days. Expect to have some bruising of eyes. Sleep with pillows on each side to prevent rolling onto nose. Separate instructions will be given for rhinoplasty.
You will be given prescriptions for medication after your surgery:
Antibiotics: Take as prescribed for 7 to 10 days.
Decadron: You may be given this medication to help reduce swelling. Use as directed for 4 days post-op.
Pain medication: There should not be much pain post-op. Pain medication will be given to take as directed for discomfort.
After your packing is removed, begin using your nasal sprays as follows:
Afrin: Use 2 sprays in each nostril 3 to 4 times a day to “shrink” down your nose and open it to breathe easier.
Saline Spray: Use 2 sprays in each nostril 3 to 4 times a day to keep your nose moist and to clean out secretions.
POST-OPERATIVE NASAL SURGERY INSTRUCTIONS
1. Do not lay on your sides or face. To prevent this pin an object such as a tennis ball in a sock to each shoulder and to your chest before going to bed.
2. Intermittently keep ice packs on the upper lip below your nose for two days.
3. Flush nasal tubes with 1 cc. of tap water with blunt needle as shown by the hospital staff, four (4) times a day as needed to keep the nasal tubes open.
4. Do not be concerned if there is slight oozing from the nose; if there is heavier bleeding please call the office.
5. After the packing has been removed in the office use salt water spray, two (2) sprays in each nostril, five (5) to six (6) times a day. If your nose is stuffy you may try using Afrin Nose Spray two (2) sprays in each nostril twice a day. Use Afrin for one week.
6. Apply one large blob of Polysporin Ointment in each nostril three (3) times a day. Call the office if you develop redness, drainage increasing pain or headache. Do not be concerned if your nose is obstructed. It is common for the tissue to swell after surgery.
7. Take other medications as prescribed by us.